Tuesday, July 31, 2007

You look Marvelous

Do you wear a Abercrombie and Fitch shirt, a Hollister tank top, or are you into Tommy and Polo? I hope not. While we could debate the topic of retailers and their impact on the family, it would be a bit redundant as it has been covered.

What I hope you will consider is why would you shop for ANY brand at all. Now I happen to like Nike shoes. They usually fit, they seem to last, they don't hurt my feet (and they look good). You could argue the same for your Tommy jeans and your A&F t-shirt. But are you buying and wearing them to fit a mold? Are you desiring to look cool or be in fashion? If you are worried about what you look like on the surface, look a little deeper. It is not what you are wearing that is the problem, it is what you are trying to cover up that is.

4 comments:

OCD.Like.Monica said...

I sooo agree with you. I have bought my son a couple of Nautica "polo" style shirts because they were a nice material and I happen to know that the collars on Nautica shirts don't wrinkle as bad as the "off-brands". I am just not into all the names on the clothes though and I hope that my children will learn to appreciate that I'm not buying them a lot of "fashionable" clothing for a good reason.

I actually know someone who told their son (he was 4 when this happened) not to play with the kids at his daycare who didn't have Nikes or Reeboks on. I think that is one of the worst things a parent can tell a child! It's what is inside that counts-- not your clothes, cars, house, etc.

Reg Golb said...

I just bought an outfit at Gymboree. It was cute and ridiculously high priced. Shame on me.

OCD.Like.Monica said...

Gymboree is really high quality though (meaning those clothes don't wear out too quickly). I don't buy much there-- but we get a lot from Osh Kosh. We have a Gymboree outlet near us now! yea!!!

Anonymous said...

Well written article.